The Alternative Consumer

This blog focuses on environmental issues, and healthy lifestyle choices -- new products and service options for your self, your friends, family and home. It's all about making smart choices, and living well!

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Trader Joe's NYC Debut


Just for kicks this past weekend, I thought I'd check out the new Trader Joe's that had just opened its first set of doors in NYC. Much to my surprise when I arrived at about 12noon, there was line of like-minded folks who were waiting to enter the store. Now I'm not a wait in line kinda person but I figured what the heck, it was supposed to be a 15 minute wait and they were handing out samples of food to those who hung in there...nothing like free food to keep people happy.

As I was hanging out, I realized that the building that Trader Joe's occupies was formerly the Palladium...wow, a flood of blurry memories whizzed by...the Clash, Prince, dancing til dawn... Well, it was a little scary to realize this was 2006 not 1986...so, this little trip to TJ's really was a trip.

Not to digress, the line of foodies moved pretty quickly as we meandered into the shop -- mind you, I'd never been to a Trader Joe's before, so I have no other location to compare this one to. All that I can say is, it was a very positive experience. Yes, the place was a bit overcrowded but everyone seemed to be in a good mood. I prefer organic food, and the organic produce (I bought mushrooms, broccoli florets, pears, apples, baby spinach) was priced really reasonably. I also tried TJ's own brand of non-fat organic key lime yogurt -- it cost a mere 69 cents for the individual serving, and it tasted great. Picked up a quart of TJ's 100% Cranberry Juice for $3.99, a bargain! I've shopped at Fairway off the West Side Hiway, 125th St (great value also), and have been a regular at Whole Foods (can be pricey)...I'd definitely make TJ's a regular stop...even though it's a small space, and doesn't stock all of my personal faves -- it's worth checking out...East 14th St, by 3rd Ave. Open 9a-10p every day. Their soon to be opened wine shop is located right next door, I hear they offer bottles of wine for $1.99...Here's the link if you want more of the TJ story.
LINK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home