The Alternative Consumer

This blog focuses on environmental issues, and healthy lifestyle choices -- new products and service options for your self, your friends, family and home. It's all about making smart choices, and living well!

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Nurture Nature

My husband is a man of action. So when he spied a hummingbird on the patio the other day he quickly decided we should have a proper feeder. As for attracting one more species of wildlife to our door, I was a bit hesitant (we are often visited by turkeys, coyote, snakes, and even a random cow), but at least hummingbirds have the good sense to feed on nectar. Rather like the gods, no?

Our search for something unusual led us to Par-A-Sol (www.parasolgarden.com) which crafts possibly the most charming bird feeders I’ve ever seen. Using recycled glass, Parasol recreates classic designs inspired by 1930’s Depression glass and early 20th century perfume bottles. Our feeder now in place, we have seen at least 4 different birds that are happily humming in the garden. And we are happily watching out the window just to get a glimpse of these wonders of nature.

To learn a bit more we consulted the Hummingbird Society and found that while hummingbirds are the world’s second largest bird family, nearly 10% of them are threatened with extinction. You can lend your support at www.hummingbirdsociety.org or at the American Bird Conservancy (www.abcbirds.org), both of which have wonderful programs to preserve bird species and their habitats. /jb

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link for the hummingbird feeders. They are gorgeous and are going on my shopping list.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

I think I would spend the whole day watching to see a humming birds come to feed :) Very attractive feeder.

We don't have them where I live unfortunately.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Katina Mooneyham said...

I absolutely love hummingbirds! I love those feeders you have! I would love to get some, maybe next year.

My mom always has hummingbirds in her garden. This year one has started to flit around our garden too. He will fly and peak in our window every now and then. We have gotten a couple good pictures from the ones in my mom's garden. Hopefully I will soon be able to get them up on my blog.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Katina Mooneyham said...

I love hummingbirds and I love your feeders too! I will definitely look into getting some like those.

My mom has hummingbirds all the time and I hope that the pictures we took will soon be up on my garden blog. We have one around our garden this year. He stops in every now and then to check us out in the front window.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

These feeders remind me of Christmas tree decorations, they are so beautiful. Thank you for the link.

I’d like to invite you to join our family friendly BLOG VILLAGE TopList. We have 160 members, and we’re striving for a diverse group of blogs. I think your blog would be a great addition.

You can find out more about it at the Blog Village blog.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Galli Galli Sim Sim said...

bev,
glad we could offer some retail therapy. My 1st choice is the ferris wheel. thanks for stopping by.
/jb

5:02 PM  
Blogger Galli Galli Sim Sim said...

jackie,
sorry you haven't any hummingbirds. perhaps that's a good excuse to travel to find some? we also enjoy watching a family of cardinals in winter, they're beautiful in the snow.
/jb

5:03 PM  
Blogger Galli Galli Sim Sim said...

katina,
don't you just wonder what hummingbirds are thinking when they hover watching you?
/jb

5:05 PM  
Blogger Galli Galli Sim Sim said...

dirty butter,
thanks for the invitation. we'll have a look and get back to you.
/jb

5:06 PM  
Blogger Galli Galli Sim Sim said...

lilfunky1,
our golden retriever found it amusing as well! thanks for visiting.
/jb

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home